Pink Mystery Rose

Pink rose

Can anyone identify this rose I saw at RHS Rosemoor Garden back in July? It has a shrubby habit and loosely double petals – it’s the ruffled arrangement of the petals that draws my attention as so often with roses. I have no idea whether it repeat flowers.

Pink rose

Another picture from the same spot gives a feel for its habit. It’s not a tall rose – perhaps 3 ft (100 cm) or less. Below you’ll find another part of the jigsaw (or a red herring).

Pink shrub rose

I believe the last two pictures show the same rose in a different part of the garden. If so, from an identification perspective, we can add in the feathery sepals and the way the flower opens out to reveal a cluster of stamens as it matures.

Pink shrub rose

I have posted mystery roses before. One turned out to be Rosa ‘Buff Beauty’, the other (click here to see it) still lacks an identification. It is not a million miles away from this one, which underlines the problem of how we can feel sure which of the many pink roses we’re looking at. The other side of the coin is that when you get used to really looking at roses, their characters seem much more individual than a glance would suggest, so it is very possible that someone will recognise it. If you have any hints for me, please let me know.

Writing this makes me glad that pink roses don’t have a criminal tendency. Imagine the police having to keep putting out the same Wanted description:

Pink rose. Green leaves. Armed with prickles.

46 thoughts on “Pink Mystery Rose

Needless to say, I can be no help at all to the matter at hand. However, I do want to say that I laughed out loud when I read the police description. I would add “Has buds.”

Gorgeous, gorgeous flowers. I hope you find out who they are.

I felt a bit shocked when I first read that, but then thought “There’s no earthly reason why everyone should like roses, let alone pale pink ones”. Some of my favourites are pale pink, such as R. ‘Queen of Sweden’, R. ‘Olivia Rose Austin’, R. ‘The Generous Gardener’ etc.

• Ms. Liz says:

It may be to do with the strong light we have in NZ. Pale colours can look a bit sickly here. Didn’t mean to shock.. do forgive me please! I like your pink mystery rose though.. very nice.

I’d say I’m far too easily shocked – no need for forgiveness! 🙂

I understand what you say about the effect of strong sunlight to make flowers seem wishy washy. But in any case, it wouldn’t do for us to all like the same things.

Thanks for searching. I wonder! It’s certainly a possibility. One picture looks very like it but another one, less so. None of the pictures I found show the buds so I could check the sepals. It would help if I could remember anything about the scent, because the one you mention has a distinctive fragrance.

I’d agree with you that it has a heirloom feel, but wonder if it might be a modern rose with Old Rose blood (or sap) in its veins. I can’t remember the scent. There were so many roses in bloom it was almost overwhelming.

2. Maggie Wilson says:

What a beautiful rose. I love the soft, loosely bunched arrangement of petals. Some tend to look over-stuffed. I thought I would try to help by doing google image search based on one of your pictures – but was quickly overwhelmed with the number of hits. I suppose if one were to key in some of the key identifying words, it might narrow the results?

I appreciate your kind heart! I tried quite a few Google image searches too before posting – pretty much everything I could think of – before concluding that the bare description doesn’t make it seem distinctive enough and if you search for more creative descriptions of the arrangements of the petals that doesn’t help either as most companies don’t describe roses that way. I browsed through a few suppliers’ websites too.

Photography seems to inhibit me from properly savouring the scents of roses or accurately remembering what I’ve sampled, but I’ll happily join with you in imagining the fragrance.

That would be very apt. I was going to say rose breeders are missing a trick not having released a R. ‘Pinky’, but a quick search revealed there is a R. ‘Little Pinkie’ and R. ‘Climbing Pinkie’. Neither are this one, but it would have been so funny if your guess had proved accurate. Rose naming never ceases to amaze me!