The Ballroom Garden at Jupiter Artland

Stone Dovecote at Jupiter Artland

We visited Jupiter Artlands, near Edinburgh, Scotland last week. I’ll no doubt be sharing more pictures, but for now, here’s one looking towards the stone dovecote in the Ballroom Garden for the weekly photo challenge: corner.

The planting is a lovely mix of contemporary and traditional style. The clumps of purple-blue flowers are hardy geraniums; honeysuckle winds around the metal railings of the balcony and pink roses are scattered naturalistically in the tall grass. Very romantic!

30 thoughts on “The Ballroom Garden at Jupiter Artland

I have very little experience with ballrooms, so I’m forced to ask why this is called a ballroom garden. Is it the flat area with the inlaid look in the middle? I had no idea that the geranium could be used to that effect — it’s wonderful. Thank you for the lovely setting in which to sip my morning coffee.

It’s just because it leads to the ballroom, a big room with a sensational ceiling, currently carpeted in popcorn, being made by a popcorn machine.

It’s a sensory experience – the popcorn smells warm and inviting. You can play in it if you’re inclined – making a popcorn angel for example. I thought it was enough to get quite a lot of it wedged in the soles of my walking shoes.

2. Anabel Marsh says:

I love Jupiter Artland, we have been a couple of times. The first time they were still building the ballroom but we visited it last year. I agree with your comment above – the ceiling is sensational.

That sounds wonderful. They have a very striking Maltese Cross-style water feature too – you can barely make out a corner of it in the photo.

It has a great atmosphere when you’re in among the grasses – peaceful, but exciting for anyone who likes gardens. The stone structures are a blessing too.