Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’

Spike of tubular shaped flowers with beelines

Spires of tubular flowers of blue, stained purple, help Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’ stand out in the garden. The flowers share a pout with the thicker petals of foxgloves, but have more of a luminescent quality. Purple beelines draw our eyes down the pale throat into the flower.

Some very reputable UK nurseries are selling this plant by the name of Penstemon ‘Sour Grapes’ but the RHS advises us that this is a misnomer.

Shared for Cee’s Flower of the Day

28 thoughts on “Penstemon ‘Stapleford Gem’

Penstemon! It takes me back to my California garden! I love the part about the “shared pout” — it is exactly so. Do the buds also share the pucker? The bud near the top facing the camera appears to have just sucked on a lemon. Which brings us to “Sour Grapes.” Finally, a name I can remember!

I’d have said they were impassive but now you point it out, they do appear tight-lipped as if more lemon sucking would not be welcome.

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

I bought a punnet of Penstemon last year and was so surprised when they survived our very hot summer, providing lovely colour. None as beautiful as this blue though.

3. Rita Dauchot says:

You make me discover this amazing flower. Blue is my favorite color, I like it! Thank you, Susan!

The full name is Penstemon × gloxinioides ‘Stapleford Gem’ but my knowledge of what is a Californian species is significantly less than yours!

• tonytomeo says:

Most of my knowledge about such matters is not accurate. Those who develop it will say what they want about it to sell it. It is weird that those in other regions, even Australia and New Zealand, know more about some cultivars of Californian species than we do in California.

4. Ann Mackay says:

Beautiful – it’s my favourite penstemon. (And it’s great to know the correct name so that I can buy a replacement for the plant I had years ago. 🙂 )

Perhaps it is a case where you might want to see the plant in flower before you take the plunge, just to be on the safe side. 🙂

Mind you, if you’re like me, you’ll probably like them all, just to a greater or lesser degree.

• Ann Mackay says:

That’s the problem for me…I like too many and haven’t the space for all of the plants I’d like!