Objects of Desire – Garden Style

Decorative wooden planter with finials containing a small tree

Classic wooden planter at Trentham Garden

Grey painted bird feeder

Elegant, painted bird feeder

A back garden

A garden sun room

Bug hotel in the shape of a city skyline

City skyline bug hotel at the Tatton Park Flower Show

Stacked terracotta pots in a potting shed

Potting shed with stash of terracotta plantpots

House with a topiary elephant

Plastic topiary elephant

37 thoughts on “Objects of Desire – Garden Style

It must have been fun to have one like that. We had a wooden rocking horse our Papa (maternal grandfather) made for us – Mama covered the seat and gave it a mane, so it was a team effort. The Bush radio you can just make out in the same picture brings back memories for me.

• Tony says:

It was good fun, but could be so dangerous if you were a bit on the heavy side. Quite a few bruised foreheads from rocking too hard.

1. janesmudgeegarden says:

I’d like the bug hotels for my garden please, though I must say both the planter and the feeder are charming too.

The bug hotel is as attractive to humans as it is to insects and you can’t say that about all of them. The planter and the feeder are well-designed and constructed. I think they are my favourites, though I like the plant labels too.

• janesmudgeegarden says:

I wonder how long the lettering lasts on the plant labels. They certainly are a much more attractive option than white plastic ones and something I’d like to try myself.

2. Rita Dauchot says:

Hello Susan. I really like your pictures of the city skyline bug hotel and the potting shed.
    Thank you! Rita

Insect hotels come in all shapes and sizes but I think this is the neatest one I’ve seen (in both the UK and US senses of the word).

The topiary shot was taken on the edge of one of the oldest topiary gardens in the world, Levens Hall. The rest of them are real, needless to say!

3. Vicki says:

Wonderful.
    Don’t know which I like best – they all fill me with envy and desire (to have a real in-ground garden).
    The bug hotel is amazing, but then the potting shed is an object of desire too 🙂

Yes, I could get a little wistful over that potting shed too – potting is such a joyful, relaxing pastime. The only downside is dealing with the surplus seedlings.

The simplest ideas are often the best. I love finding the pebbles with pictures or messages on that people sometimes leave. The last one I found was a yellow submarine pebble on the edge of a wood. I would have loved to have taken it home, but left it for the next person to see.