Winter Highlights From Bodnant Garden In Wales

Tree with reddish brown bark at Bodnant Garden

Arbutus andrachnoides tree leaning against stone stairway at Bodnant Garden

Shrub covered in small flowers

Winter flowering daphne (Daphne bholua ‘Jacqueline Postill’)

Hellebore with cluster of green flowers

Helleborus argutifolius (holly-leaved hellebore)

Hamamelis with orange flowers

Hamamelis x intermedia ‘Jelena’ (witch-hazel) with grasses

Vine with red-tinted foliage thickly covering a wall

Trachelospermum jasminoides showing winter colour

Here are a few more of my favourite shots from Bodnant Garden earlier this winter (this is the garden with the pink snakebark tree). Bodnant is deservedly one of the National Trust’s top ten winter gardens. For details and the full list, see the National Trust’s website.

27 thoughts on “Winter Highlights From Bodnant Garden In Wales

1. Old Herbaceous says:

Love the photo of the Trachelospermum jasminoides — mine never color up like that in cold weather! They just stay green, which is fine, but the red foliage in your photo is beautiful.

I was surprised by the colour at the time, although I’ve since noticed some English bloggers whose plants are the same. I don’t know if we have a particular cultivar over here that colours well in the winter, or if it’s an effect of our climate. There wasn’t a cultivar name on the label.

Thank you! The snowflakes from The Beast From The East are falling as I write. Over in my part of Lancashire it isn’t as bad as it is elsewhere. Of course we aren’t used to the snow or ever fully prepared.

• Laurie Graves says:

Right! And that can be the most dangerous. If you don’t absolutely have to be anywhere, it’s best to stay off the roads.

It’s one I remember from childhood holidays so have a particular affection for. I don’t really remember it as it is, but climbing up the hillside opposite. I always wonder if there’s something to explore on the hillside I’m missing, or if I was just being a child who likes the wrapping more than the actual present.

That place has no end of gorgeousness, does it? I am totally charmed by the daphne, and I think I’ve never even heard of it before — it looks like that in the WINTER?? Lovely images, all!