Beware of the Flowers…

Floating hellebore flowers

…cos I’m sure they’re gonna get you, yeah.

You’re not sure what that refers to, perhaps? That bit of punk pop rock fluff from the 20th century passed you by, even though it’s reputed to have been voted the nation’s seventh favourite lyric of all time in a 1999 BBC poll? Lucky you have me, then.

You do recall this is the same nation that overwhelmingly voted for Boaty McBoatface as the name of our spanking new polar research vessel (and still imagines more popular votes might be helpful)?

If you were expecting something more meaningful to accompany these floating hellebores, don’t worry, I’ve got that covered too. You could click on ‘Hellebores’ in my tag cloud for example, if you can find it (if you can’t, try here). Or take a look at this post from the lovely Gillian of Country Gardens UK, or this from The Teddington Gardener or this magazine article about SunFarm for US readers. And if you fancy more views from atop, visit the weekly photo challenge (this is a rare second submission).

Whew! That frees me up for more of the same:

OK, let’s make this the big one, for Otway!

29 thoughts on “Beware of the Flowers…

The only thing about quoting lyrics in cold black and white is that you can’t convey the intonation and timing unless the reader already knows the song. But you get the drift.

Thanks – I took a series of these at Ashwood Nurseries and every now and again can’t resist sharing another of them. I have one of the whole display but the lighting is harsh. If we get a weekly prompt ‘treasure chest’, I’ll dig it out!

1. jenmac13 says:

Beware of the flowers by John Otway is new to me too! I like how he has two guitars 🎸🎸https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0v38af7DXv0
    And they are lovely hellebores! 🏵

2. calensariel says:

Those different colored flowers are all floating there together, right? It’s not separate plants, or is it? I think this is one of my favorite of your pictures. Love these flowers.

You’re right. They’ve been picked from different cultivars and are floating in water, which is the classic way to display hellebore flowers (they have a nodding habit). I’m glad you like them.

3. gardeninacity says:

Does the Boaty McBoatface thing provide any explanation for Brexit? Lovely pic, when I have more Hellebores I’ll have to float some in a bowl of water.

4. Chloris says:

We live in a populist age.’Cos, I’ m sure they’ re gonna get you?’ Awful on so many levels. Boaty McBoatface? Brexit? Orange- faced clown for president? I think I landed on the wrong planet. Thank goodness for beautiful hellebores.

You’re wise to brush aside my quotation and the politics of the day in order to focus on the flowers. The singer has a self-depreciating, whimsical edge – I’d see him as a won’t hurt a fly character, though I imagine he wouldn’t turn down a sip from your beer. To quote his mother, who should know best ‘…being daft has been his living’.

My takeout from the song is that he is mistaken as flowers will not hurt you, in general – unless you decide to munch on a foxglove, that is. Or a hellebore…