Weekly photo challenge: Atop

Garden silhouette

In the valleys of North West England, blue skies are elusive. When one does deign to grace us, it inevitably arrives with an entourage of fluffy clouds. So, for me, an unbroken expanse of blue sky is always something of a miracle.

That may be what motivated me to try a few experimental shots of trees and their canopies as dusk was falling at the wonderful San Diego Botanic Garden. If only this was a technique I could practice back at home! If there’s such a thing as blue sky envy, I’ve got it.

Sunset at San Diego Botanic Garden

I’m sharing these for this week’s photo challenge: atop. Perhaps aloft might be more appropriate, but what’s a few consonants between friends?

22 thoughts on “Weekly photo challenge: Atop

1. judithclarkewrites says:

Susan, your blue sky observation struck a chord. My husband, who is English and who has Alzheimer’s, constant remarks about how blue the sky is on cloudless days. ‘How often do you see a blue sky like that?” he says over and over. Maybe he’s remembering cloudy London growing up, and Manchester in his student days. We live in Virginia and have our share of blue-sky days in spite of everything.

Liked by 3 people

It’s not easy to take them for granted after living in England. I often catch myself rather suspiciously sweeping the heavens for clouds. I’m glad you still have blue-sky days, despite all the challenges. I couldn’t find my way through to your blog through your gravatar. Will you leave a link if you have a moment?

Liked by 1 person

• judithclarkewrites says:

Here’s the way: juditheclarkecares.com
        Thanks, Susan. (BTW, our blue skies clouded right over this week, with snow and frigid temperatures. Only my hellebores survived. Daffodils limp and defeated.

2. Eliza Waters says:

I, too, am a big fan of bluebird skies. The key is low humidity, so the US Southwest has gorgeous skies. Today here in MA we are graced with one such expanse, a gift from frigid north. Cold, but blindingly beautiful!

Liked by 1 person

3. Su Leslie says:

These are lovely images.
    Blue skies are the stuff of literature and art, so we are well conditioned to imbue them with almost magical properties. Having said that though, I’m a total sucker for them too. I do remember a few glorious cloudless days in England. When they’re good, they’re very very good.

Liked by 3 people

Ah, the San Diego blue. I lived there for a while, so I know. ‘Tis a lovely thing to contemplate, even in memory. Thanks for the glimpse again. And I admire the touch of copper on the trees in the top photo, where the sun brushes them. Trees always know how to strike a pose!

Liked by 1 person

The copper glints were coming from uplighters, if I remember correctly. It’s interesting how the black silhouettes have a flat, two dimensional effect and the ones with the extra lighting are more 3D – a bit like actors in front of a stage backdrop, to extend your theatrical image.

Liked by 1 person

5. Clare Flourish says:

We had blue sky most of the day in Northamptonshire on Wednesday, and I have evidence! I remember blue skies from childhood in Argyll, with only a few clouds just above the horizon- well, those were the memorable weather days. I love the reddening light on the larger branches, in your pictures.

Liked by 1 person

6. calensariel says:

It’s only in the last year or so I started equating the word canopy with the lacy trees overhead in a forest. I love the idea of that. And hey, since you’re one for flying back and forth across the pond, any tips on how to survive the 11-hour flight we’ll have from Salt Lake to London in September?

When I first started flying for business I noted that my colleague seemed no more concerned about flying than if he was taking a bus. So I try to keep that spirit – as if it’s nothing unusual. That’s easier said than done if you’re terrified, I know. I have no miracle tips, sadly. Dress for comfort and go with the flow. Keep a few essentials with you, whatever yours might be. Mine include a small tube of rich moisturiser, eye spray (Optrex Actimist), one of those neck pillows you see at the airports plus basic emergency supplies incase the main bag gets lost for a few days. And make sure you have some entertainment planned. If you don’t sleep eleven hours will seem like a long time. But the main thing is to focus on all the fun you’ll be having on this side of the ocean!

Liked by 1 person