19 thoughts on “Wordless Wednesday: Young Morello Cherries

Update: just to let you know that Beautywhizz has identified the blue flowers. Their folk name is green alkanet and their Latin one is Pentaglottis sempervirens.

• Oddment says:

Thank you and thanks to Beautywhizz. I have just read a bit about green alkanet and am fascinated to learn that if I eat some and then spit in the mouth of a serpent the serpent will die. Who knew?

They were in a walled kitchen garden at Kew Gardens – I don’t think they’d appreciate visitors picking them. I love morello cherries so would soon have purple lips and fingers, given half the chance! They turn a deeper colour when they’re fully ripe.

1. margaret21 says:

In moving house, I had to leave my morello cherry tree behind. However, this was as ripe as the fruit ever got. Whatever I did, the birds bit and destroyed every single one. I never got a single handful 😦 Why weren’t the fruits too sour for them?

I suppose your experience shows that birds don’t have taste buds quite like us. It reminds me of eating in Japan with some colleagues. We were given slices of meat and vegetables to cook ourselves over a shared grill. It sounded good in theory, but they seemed more than happy to eat the chicken and beef well before I considered it to be cooked, so all I got was charred cabbage and carrots.

Homey is a great way of putting it. These were regal cherries – or at least from the Queen’s Garden at Kew – but then I think she’s homey at heart, when she gets half a chance.