Viola Odorata: Sweet Violets

Violets

This picture of sweet violets was taken with my iPhone: it’s a blessing to be able to have it with me for moments like these. The heart shaped leaves are scrolled up, perhaps  to funnel rain water down to the roots and the scented flowers are tiny but radiant. This is a quintessential cottage garden flower for me and I love to see posies made with them.

It’s clear this patch is thriving from all the little seedlings partly hidden under the leaves – you can just glimpse them towards the foreground. In England their natural habitat is dwindling, so I always give a double take when I hear gardeners describing these little jewels as weeds. Perhaps it’s a pride-in-your-lawn kind of thing.

I can’t imagine a lawn that would not look prettier with a scattering of violets, but it wouldn’t do for us all to think alike.

30 thoughts on “Viola Odorata: Sweet Violets

1. The Frustrated Gardener says:

If violets are weeds then they are most welcome ones! I love them, and can’t resist picking a few if they are abundant enough. Great shot, taken at just the right moment. A few days longer and the leaves might have grown taller than the flowers.

Liked by 1 person

2. barryboone says:

The poet Ella Wilcox wrote “A weed is but an unloved flower.” But now that you’ve loved these violets and shared them with the world, _these_ violets can no longer be considered weeds.

Liked by 1 person

3. Eliza Waters says:

My lawn is full of white and purple violets (among many other flowers like veronica, gil-over-the-ground and dandelions) and I love it when the violets bloom thickly – I always feel like having a party to celebrate. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

4. margaret21 says:

This reminds us of France, where violets tumbled all over every spare piece of ground at this time of year. Here, they seem much rarer, and those I see are white. Which seems wrong somehow. Violets should be … violet.

Liked by 1 person

5. Frogend_dweller says:

Isn’t it great that phones handle colours so well. My canon would have made them look blue. Violets are adorable and I love it when they pop up in different bits of the garden, miles from where they started.

Liked by 1 person

That’s the main reason I prefer using it. I also have an old Canon G11, which is amazing in some ways, but less so in others: colour being one of the less so. It’s so disappointing to look through a camera and find it’s almost like looking at a completely different plant.

6. Heyjude says:

I’d welcome these little beauties onto MY lawn (so good to be able to say that at last), but only common daisies and some dandelions flourishing at the moment . It’s looking more like a miniature meadow! I have only seen one or two violets so far in the hedgerows. This was a lucky find.

Liked by 1 person