January Squares: Light Pink Roses

Cluster of pale pink, single rambler rose

Becky at The Life Of B is hosting a new challenge throughout January with the topic of light, or any word ending in light. The main picture has to be square. I don’t find it easy to crop square, unless the picture was originally taken that way (relatively few are), but it’s good to be challenged.

So why this picture? Well, the roses are the lightest shade of pink; the flowers seem like tiny satellite* dishes, catching and reflecting sunlight, and I’m claiming they make a delightful sight.

Also because I’ve only just found out the topic and always have a few spare roses up my sleeve (not literally – that would mean scratches).

I hope 2020 has got off to a great start for you and your loved ones.

* I could have claimed ‘lite’ and Becky is too sweet natured to object, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Not on the first day of the decade.

31 thoughts on “January Squares: Light Pink Roses

1. Jackie says:

Lovely.
    If you use Windows 10, Explorer has the option under Edit and Create to crop using aspect and there is a square option there.

Thanks for your kindness Jackie. I didn’t explain myself well. I can crop them, it’s just that I often can’t get my head around cropping part of the image out, especially if I like the image. I take relatively few pictures that are not of flowers, nature or gardens and I don’t think that helps. I can be quite brutal cropping those ones! Perhaps what I’m actually telling myself is that I should expand my subject matter this year.

You know where my eye went immediately! What a glorious way to start the new year — to dwell on any aspect of light is a splendid idea, especially in an Indiana winter. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with.

3. restlessjo says:

I had 3 images of the same shot and I umm’d and ahh’d about what worked best. I really liked the light patterns on the wall and didn’t want to crop too many of them out. But square it had to be 🙂 🙂

Well, I was sure, until I got your comment and went through a series of thoughts – doubt, disbelief, outrage, enlightenment… I’ll pretend I ended on enlightenment for both our sakes. 🙂

• Heyjude says:

Seems its a bit of a mystery. I decided that 2001 was the start of the millennium partly because I wasn’t able to have leave in 1999 due to the IT bug issue and I worked in IT. 2000 saw me camping through southern Africa and dancing in the moonlight on NYE!! A much better way to celebrate 💃

Good question! A blogging buddy, Becky, hosts a quarterly challenge to share pictures on a topic – the current topic being words ending in light. To join in, your main picture has to be cropped square.