25 thoughts on “Wordless Wednesday: Ginkgo Tree

If I’m in the US for ginkgo time, I always go around the neighbourhood, checking on the state of their goldenness and gasping when I round the corner to find one or another tree’s leaves have all fallen overnight. Lovely to think they are such an old, old species too.

It might have been more effective cropped square, even though it would have taken the top of the tree away. Funny how we see things differently in one context after looking at them for a while in another!

What a great shot! I love the dark framework of the tree against those fluttery leaves. I thought the same thing wigginswords did — that could be the town where I grew up, or just around the bend. It looks very comfy.

• Maria says:

I just read from Wiki:
        “Ginkgo biloba, commonly known as ginkgo or gingko, also known as the maidenhair tree, is the only living species in the division Ginkgophyta, all others being extinct. It is found in fossils dating back 270 million years. Native to China, the tree is widely cultivated, and was cultivated early in human history. “

• Maria says:

What I read was that the word ‘ginkgo’ comes from the Chinese ‘yinxing’ meaning ‘silver apricot’. It was named the ‘maidenhair tree’ in England because the leaves look similar to the leaves of the native maidenhair: https://www.friendsofthewildflowergarden.org/pages/plants/maidenhairfern.html If you look closely, the shapes of the leaves are the same. These ferns are also native to the U.S., and the ‘silver apricot’ is the color of the unfolding fiddleheads.

• Maria says:

Excuse me, but the ‘silver apricot’ was the Chinese description of the Gingko tree’s color in autumn. The ‘maiden hair’ was the name the English gave the tree because of its leave’s resemblance to those of the maidenhair fern. The ‘fiddleheads’ of the ferns don’t have to do with the name as thought earlier, although in autumn some of the leaves of the ferns do turn golden in the wild.