More English Roses, Anyone?

Pale pink rose with many petals

Rosa ‘The Generous Gardener’ is a fragrant climbing rose

Roses with rounded blooms packed with many petals

‘Wollerton Old Hall’ roses tumble in a scented garden

Pink, yellow and apricot roses

Shrub and climbing roses surround ‘The Pilgrim’ on an obelisk

Pink roses with poppies and geraniums

‘Harlow Carr’ roses with geraniums and poppies in mum’s garden

A folly behind a garden of roses and perennials

Roses and perennials on the lower terrace at Bodnant Garden

Pink roses

Rosa ‘Princess Alexandra of Kent’ has huge flowers on sturdy stems

A creamy white rose with several buds

Rosa ‘Tranquility’, a creamy-white rose with pretty sepals

These are English roses (except in the picture from Bodnant Gardens, other shrub roses, including old roses are mixed in). Completely out of season in gardening terms, but I felt we could all do with something to lift our spirits.

Dedicated to all who suffer when extremists try to impose their warped world view on the rest of us.

Check out my earlier posts on roses

54 thoughts on “More English Roses, Anyone?

1. maristravels says:

Have just finished pruning mine. Can’t wait for the first blossom and first scent of the roses.

I used to look for perfection of form, but I’ve fought my instincts so I’m less finicky. There is just one bloom here that still troubles me – I have the urge to add a few extra petals on to it.

2. Heyjude says:

Gorgeous roses Susan, as usual. I wonder if ‘Princess Alexandra’ is sturdy enough for my windy garden? Although really I ought to buy ‘A Shropshire Lad’.

My only question would be whether you are very near the coast, thinking of some of your posts. PAOK is a good sturdy plant and not too fussy, but if you need roses to suit coastal conditions, it would be wise to ask for advice direct from the company.

• Heyjude says:

I have noted a few DA English shrub roses that are suitable for containers AND shade AND coastal conditions so I will try a couple of those I think. Gertrude Jekyll seems to be OK in a sunnier location.

3. Ms. Liz says:

These definitely lifted my spirits! These photos are a gift of beauty and I also appreciated finding your dedication at the end. Many thanks, Liz 🙂

I have never been to New Zealand, but have a great affection for it. It has been uplifting to watch New Zealand respond with so much love and solidarity – quite the opposite of what the attacker would have hoped for in his twisted way.

4. Shelly Battista says:

Susan, thank you. I really needed this. Some days I just can’t take all the hate in this world. Much love to you!

It’s possible that we do experience echoes of fragrance when we see pictures… not the exact fragrance, but a gesture towards it. That’s what makes us think of it.

The picture of ‘Tranquility’ in particular seems to conjure up scent when I look at it, even though that one isn’t particularly fragrant.