28 thoughts on “Hurray For Autumn Colour!

I rarely post pictures as soon as I take them – it can take years for me to decide to share them. However, it is still like this in Mississippi where my sweetheart lives, though the ginkgo leaves have pretty much fallen.

In a word, oooooh! I am especially intrigued by the color of the underlayer in the leaf pile, to the upper left of the center leaf, and am fumbling for a name for it. It’s almost iridescent. Pearl grey? Not quite. Silvery purple? No. Over all, quite a palette!

2. Heyjude says:

Nandina seems to be everywhere this year and yet I have never come across it before. I might have to get me one, but in a container as there is no room for more shrubs in my garden.

My sweetheart loves nandinas but I hadn’t paid them much attention before I met him. Closer acquaintance with them makes them seem a lot more interesting than you’d expect. The leaves have a nice pattern even when they are green. The flowers are demure, the berries positively flashy and the autumn colour can be very striking.

I suppose in a lost episode of The Twilight Zone there is a world where autumn leaves, spring bulbs and summer flowers coexist all at the same time, with a warning not to think that having it all at once will make life any sunnier, but…

What struck me about the nandinas was not just the red colour of the berries and some of the leaves, though that was striking, but the contrast with the plain green leaves of the wild blackberry.