Square In September: Last Hurrah

Rose with rounded shape and droplets of rain

Rosa ‘Olivia Austin’

This is my last week to share square pictures of pink roses and, to celebrate, this week’s roses come with extras for those who were part of the challenge, or kindly indulged my weakness, even though they are not quite as keen on roses. First, a pink rose named for a lovely lady. It ticks the strongly fragrant box and though I don’t know this variety quite as well as some of the others, with further acquaintance, I suspect it would be one of my favourites. Though I can’t claim this is a bud, it is only partly open and will eventually become a rosette.

Flowers in shades of pink with starry shapes

Pink astrantia

This celebration of a flower is for Becky, for hosting the challenge so gracefully, and for all those who took part, many of them sharing a square cropped picture with varying amounts of pink in it for the whole month. Well done! I’ve loved seeing them all appear in The Reader.

Paphiopedilum in shades of white, pink, crimson and cream

Paphiopedilum collection (Venus slipper orchids)

For orchid lovers, here’s a collection of them, In The Pink, and artfully arranged with moss, slate and logs.

Droopy geraniums in shades of pink

Pink geraniums

If we’ve learned one thing from the challenge, it’s that Pink can be interpreted in more ways that we might have imagined. I can’t claim these hardy geraniums are tickled pink , but their petals do seem to be gradually changing to trickles of pink. That’s close enough.

A perfect rose bloom amongst faded plants

Late September Rose

Finally, a deep pink rose that helped to raise my spirits a couple of days ago at Trentham Gardens (if you missed yesterday’s post you can read it here). Perky and fresh amongst the fallen seed-heads, it seemed set down in a slightly different time zone.

There’s still time to join in with InThePink, but you’ve got to be quick. Thanks again, Becky!

30 thoughts on “Square In September: Last Hurrah

1. Pat says:

These are so beautiful, Susan. What a great selection – and remember you can always post squares of pink roses (and other flowers – and other colors of roses) any time you want and we will appreciate them!

The portrait of Olivia Austin is stunning! Between that and the astrantia, I don’t know where to put my eyes. I’ve never heard of astrantia so of course I’ve looked it up. If it will grow here, I have a place for it — so exciting! Thanks again for teaching me about new things!

• Oddment says:

Then it will not astound you to know that I was coveting the white astrantia! Alas, I think it will not do well here, but still I have it on my list of things to learn more about — right under Crocosmia (it’s not alphabetical). I will have to review that post about the lighter colors as I’m thinking about next year’s garden.

Yes, it is. It was not labelled but I assumed at the time it was some form of oxonianum. I did a quick search online and can’t see anything that springs out as being the same. It was in the private garden of the owners of Arley Hall in Cheshire (The Old Parsonage) during one of their yellow book open days.

3. Val says:

I love roses, and that top one is beautiful! I’ve never seen Astrantia before – shall have to look out for some for our garden next years. All gorgeous!

4. tonytomeo says:

A meme on a specified color? I it always ‘In the Pink’? Does the color of choice change? I have done all white in my own posts (for other memes), but not made a meme of it.

You missed this one Tony. This month’s theme was In The Pink, but the topic will most likely be completely different next time it runs, which will be in December. I’ve linked to the host, Becky, in the post.

• tonytomeo says:

December!? So it is not not require the sort of commitment as other memes. So far, I do only one meme, Six on Saturday. It is weekly, but you know how they go. Once one gets started, one feels obligated!

I don’t ever feel obligated. The hosts of the ones I dip in and out of are unfailingly kind and supportive. They know more than most the degree of commitment regular blogging entails.