Massive Live Oak Trees

Live oak with people looking very small beside it

This Southern live oak tree (Quercus virginiana) seemed almost too big to fit on the camera screen, silly as that seems. I had planned to crop out the people, but rethought the shot because they give a sense of scale. Their placement doesn’t comply with the rule of thirds (rule of thirty-thirds, perhaps) but then my pictures rarely do.

Southern live oak tree

The dark limbs, foliage and Spanish moss have a sombre character, so the flash of bright copper foliage towards the top right fascinated me. Despite the colour, the tree limbs dominate the shot.

Live oak tree in sepia

The scene seemed to be crying out for sepia, and the old fashioned, dream-like quality it gives. Trees of this stature are awe inspiring. I only took a few shots as they seemed to defy my ability to capture them, but looking back, I’m glad I tried.

24 thoughts on “Massive Live Oak Trees

It’s a big ask! The leaves of the American ones always surprise me, no matter how often I see them. The English shaped leaf is often used in imagery – for example, the National Trust logo.

Recently I met an oak very much like that one, and so this image has a special reality. I approve of the people in the photo for the exact reason you gave; those trees really put us in our place. But, oh, the sepia! Inspired!

2. calensariel says:

You were spot on with that sepia picture. What a pleasure it would be to walk among those giants. Reminds me both of simpler times and times when our country was being torn apart another time. Beautiful picture!

Trying out sepia made me wish I was there all over again so I could experiment a bit more. It helps draw out the history – not that these trees really need that.

3. LensScaper says:

I too love the Sepia image – it has that timeless quality about it which is so appropriate when you consider how long-lived oaks are and the history that they have witnessed.

You’ve reminded me of the ones on the Mississippi coast that were broken in two by Katrina and have been carved by an artist into eagles and dolphins.