Thursday Doors: Blue Sky Door

Door painted with landscape and a floating armadillo

This characterful door hasn’t experienced much traffic lately, as the untrampled wildflowers bear witness. It is part of the South Austin Museum of Popular Culture (Southpop) complex on South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, Texas – or just around the corner from it.

I found this picture particularly tricky to write alt text for. How do you describe it in just a few words to a person who can’t see it? Lilac walls, yellow paintwork and iron railings frame a door painted with a grassy hillside and a river winding along at its foot. There’s a serene blue sky and fluffy white clouds. Thrown in for good measure are a floating armadillo; bluebonnets (I think); the Lone Star Flag of Texas; 109 written in a shamrock; and 1950 Willie in large orange letters.

It’s intriguing, but it makes me glad I’m not a postman. There’s no letterbox anyway, though it looks as if most letters could be slipped under the door.

Shared for Thursday Doors.

23 thoughts on “Thursday Doors: Blue Sky Door

Thanks Derrick! Sadly, the alt text description is just “Door painted with landscape and a floating armadillo” after several tries. I tried searching for another photo of it online, as I was sure there must be one, but couldn’t find any. That’s probably down to the same thing – not knowing how best to describe it in just a few words.

I guess such a door wouldn’t be so helpful to a postman, but it would be helpful to anyone who wants a break from the humdrum. A floating armadillo! I’m almost sure that is an entirely new concept in air travel.

And look at that hat – it looks like an artist’s impression of the type some ladies wear to the more fashionable of our race courses so they will stand out from the crowd.

2. leggypeggy says:

Thanks so much for your interest in my blog. I’m now following yours. By the way, you have a beautiful smile, but I bet you hear that all the time.

3. wigginswordsandimages says:

I love your blog and I’m so glad I discovered it. When were you in Austin? Here I am living in Austin for 35 years and I haven’t visited that place. I need to do so before we move away!

The bluebonnets aren’t particularly well rendered so aren’t clearly bluebonnets, but I think that’s what they’re supposed to be. The “Willie” would be Willie Nelson, but I don’t know what the 1950 references. He was born in 1933.

I’ve stayed there a couple of times in recent years (in spring and autumn) but so very briefly it’s been more of a tease than a proper stay.

Thanks for your explanations. I was wondering if Willie might be connected to Willie Nelson.

When taking the picture I was concerned that I couldn’t get it straight, but looking at it afterwards, I’m not convinced the door frame is straight to begin with!

4. dennyho says:

Well, it does make one stop and ponder what the artist was thinking! And if I were a postwoman I’d really take a peak at what was being sent to such a door.