Tiny Spiky Things

Small spiky, leafy plants with green, grey and purple leaves

Tiny carpeting plants in different colours and textures

The first picture fascinates me: the abundant, varied life; the colours and forms; how snugly these carpeting plants fit together; the apparent harmony, nothing swamping the other; how dainty they all are. I’d love to see this natural design translated into a fabric.

The second is a mystery. A fossil of some kind – a coral, though it looks too round for that, or a sea creature? If you know what it is, please let me know.

Flat, round stone with wavy ridges and toothed effect

Mystery fossil

I’m sharing these tiny spiky things for Becky’s March Squares. Why not pop over and join in the fun?

28 thoughts on “Tiny Spiky Things

Isn’t it wonderful how Nature obliges us when we look for something specific like spikiness? So many different kinds! I do love the “snugly” aspect of those tiny plants. I can’t help at all with the fossil, but it’s a wondrous contrast to the flowery carpet!

2. Flower Roberts says:

The first photo looks like echinoderms/sea urchins. I am amazed by this.
    For the second, I must share a teacher story. I have an old piece of brain coral like that. I used to pass it around my science classes. Now I taught for many years( high school, college and middle school), so thousands of hands had handled that piece of coral. As it went around in my 8th grade science class, I watched in horror as a boy licked it. Did I mention that I am also a germo-phobe? I called his mother.

I’ve never seen a coral reef but these plants and succulents do look like something you might see under water. The story made me smile, especially imagining what his mother might have thought when she got your call. The boy must have a first rate immune system, perhaps further primed by your brain coral!

3. Vicki says:

That mystery fossil makes for a fantastic texture in an image. So interesting. I’ve never heard of Brain Coral, but hopefully that’s the correct identification.

A fabric designer would need a blend of skill and patience to complete it! I’ve seen a few really nice botanical patterns for Spring 19, but have baulked at the prices.

4. BeckyB says:

oh these are amazing . . .and my profuse apologies for not visiting before now. WordPress didn’t notify me and so only discovered these beauties by chance today.