A Good Match: Courgette Flaunting in a Post-Truth World

I’ve read several articles where people complain about social media types like us (WordPress does count as social, doesn’t it?) flaunting our riches.

You know, bragging about our crazy lifestyles, celebrity friends and expensive belongings. Everyone I read mainly does that.*

So, in light of the Europe-wide, 2017 courgette (zucchini) shortage, take a look at this:

Pizza with grilled peppers and courgettes

I challenge anyone to come up with a more decadent pizza topping. Before you judge me, remember it isn’t bragging if it’s true.

Sadly, try as I might, I can’t keep up the lies and deception. I’ll confess. This is one of those newfangled post-truths. I post-truthed it. (Just testing the boundaries of this new word of ours).

I had this pizza last summer. No need to get all bitter and twisted. I’m as courgetteless as the rest of the nation.**

One unassailable fact is that the toppings are a good match for each other. I’m not too sure about the name of the pizza though – ‘Bubbling Inferno’. ***

Please don’t share this on Facebook, however tempting it might be. I don’t want to be named and shamed as one of those fake news outlets.

* Only joking – tee hee!
** Which turns out not to be quite as courgetteless as the news suggests.
*** OK, OK, I made that bit up too. I think it was called ‘Peppers and Courgette Pizza’.

27 thoughts on “A Good Match: Courgette Flaunting in a Post-Truth World

That’s true. There’s a lot to be said for eating only locally grown food, in season, but I’d be post-truthing if I claimed that was all I ate. There are some things we still have no choice but to eat roughly in season (have you ever seen fresh garden peas for sale in the winter?) but I’ve got used to having peppers available all year round.

1. Su Leslie says:

Is there really a courgette shortage? They are so easy to grow here. I foolishly put two plants in a couple of years ago and couldn’t use mine all up. I couldn’t even give them away!

Given that I had no idea what a courgette was when I opened your post, and given that the slice of the photo that I could see made me wary of it, whatever it might be, I would say it’s easy to understand that I laughed all the way through. You post-truthed it??? Oh, this brave new world that hath such verbs in it!

3. Heyjude says:

Well you gave me a good laugh! Post-truthed; fake news – whatever next! And I managed to buy three courgettes from ASDA this weekend ready to make a lovely courgette/BNS/pepper frittata for tomorrow’s lunch 😀

That does sound lovely. I did see a couple of packets of courgettes on the shelf of a local store – miniature ones. They were positioned so self-consciously towards the front as if to say ‘Look what we’ve got – our Buyers really are the best’ that I did not dare touch them.

4. arlingwoman says:

Thanks for the delightful article. Gave me a bit of a chuckle. I knew there were cauliflower shortages (or was it just that they were $9?) but didn’t know we were short of zucchini (and there is no singular for that, so it would seem hard to have a shortage). The pizza looks fabulous. I trust your cholesterol levels have gone back down by now!

5. calensariel says:

Zucchini… They make EVERYTHING in Utah of zucchini. I like it. I especially like it grilled on an outside grill. But I would really rather have potatoes in my potato soup!!!

6. barbsteving says:

You’re too funny, Susan. I got a kick out of this post! And I’m looking forward to growing lots of zucchini this year! I’ll have to check out your pizza.