Imagining Flavours

Plums

I couldn’t resist responding to today’s prompt (Juicy) with plums…

Assortment of Gooseberries

gooseberries, in assorted colours…

Rovada red currants

and prize winning redcurrants. I hope these pictures will set your mouth watering.

I’ve recently realised how easy it is for me to imagine (or recall) flavours. Milk chocolate. Dark chocolate gingers. Strawberry ice cream. Malteasers. It’s weird. Textures arise in the mind too, and the coolness of ice cream.

I’m more interested in taking pictures of gooseberries than eating them. My flavour memories date back to the time when I had no choice but to eat warm gooseberry crumble and vanilla custard for pudding or nothing. I wish I could remember road directions as clearly after so many years (or faces).

But back to the fruit pictures… I don’t believe I’ve ever tasted red currants. That’s where the theory fails. My imagination pretty much draws a blank. Given a choice of berries, I am loyal to wimberries, small, intensely flavourful bilberries (similar to blueberries) that grow wild on the moors here. What am I missing?

14 thoughts on “Imagining Flavours

1. oneta hayes says:

Your pictures do look inviting. I do not eat many varieties of berries, just blueberries, strawberries. I love memories of mulberries. We had a tree when I was a child; I loved picking them off the tree and eating them – green or ripe didn’t matter. What mattered was that I could reach them. Some were eaten from off the ground. Parents would probably flip now! We were so far out in the country I guess the web worms or spiders didn’t make the trip.

The mulberry tree sounds wonderful. If there’s one thing I’d have liked easy access to as a child it would have been a row of English garden peas.

How interesting. And how beautiful — what colors! I am totally smitten by the redcurrants. I think I do not have a flavor memory; you’ve got me wondering about that. I did appreciate your wishing to remember road directions as clearly as flavors. Flavors are more important, yes?

3. The Big Garden and Croft says:

Denise > Whimberry? I assume that’s the same as what I know as Whinberry? Can’t understand why you’d like those, but turn your nose up at Gooseberries! But there you are, flavours are in the mind, and all too often they are only one ingredient in a recipe that’s less to our liking. Which is why I don’t like beef … but that’s another story!

There are a lot of local names for them. They grow on shortish bushes and you have to beat the rush to gather them in any quantities around here once they ripen. You would think it was morels or truffles people were gathering.
      I can’t guarantee I’d turn my nose up at any type of crumble and custard – if I did, it would be the all-sweet ones like peach. A crumble is all about contrast. Luckily for my waistline I don’t seem to be offered them often these days!

No I haven’t. Gooseberries are sour, unless they are perfectly ripened, sometimes intensely so, but there is a piquancy that some people like. It’s hard to explain tastes. Chocolate, for example – you might say sweet and creamy, but that misses its particular essence out. All the time the word hovering on your lips is ‘chocolatey’, which doesn’t help at all.

4. barbsteving says:

Beautiful photos! Lingonberries are similar to cranberries in taste. I don’t think there is any fruit I don’t like. 😊 Though I do not like cooked raisins or cooked cherries. That texture…!