1 in 10 Garden by Charlie Hartigan

Flowers in the 1 in 10 Garden at Tatton Park Flower Show

I always look forward to seeing the finalists in the annual Young Designer competition at the RHS Tatton Park Flower Show. This is a detail of Charlie Hartigan’s 1 in 10 garden, voted the People’s Choice for the Best Large Garden. I loved the colour combination and the abundance of traditional cottage garden plants in a contemporary space.

Planting a strip of flowers at ground level below a single step that constrained the main planting area struck me as a simple way to manage an incline and add interest to a flower border. The cream paint highlighted the terraced effect and accentuated the wavy lines of Salvia nemerosa flowers. Other plants included erigeron, allium, lavender, artemesia, scabious and eryngium.

Garden designs often require larger dimensions than British houses are blessed with, but this aspect of the design was a great way to show how much can be packed in to a sliver of land. While we may lack the room, climate or privacy for an outdoor bath (check out this link to the RHS website), many of us could plant up a few square metres of land along these lines and be all the happier for it.

One of the ideas behind the design of this sensory healing garden was to help raise awareness for the estimated 1 in 10 women with endometriosis and to highlight the difficulties many face getting a diagnosis.

33 thoughts on “1 in 10 Garden by Charlie Hartigan

1. Ann Mackay says:

Beautiful planting in colours I love. 🙂 Also like the fact that it was to raise awareness of endometriosis – I think it can be difficult to diagnose.

I like the fact that some of the gardens have messages. It all adds to the complexity of the experience, so it’s not just beautiful flowers and planting ideas – not that there’s anything wrong in that!

This was a bit of an optical illusion to me: at first I saw the step as a flat path painted with a blue-grey stripe, and, when the proper perspective popped up, I was surprised by it. (How’s that for an alliterative sentence?) One of the many playful aspects of a garden. Thanks for the ideas in this — I’d not have thought to use such a palette, especially with that silvery touch of artemisia. A garden is such a marvel, isn’t it? To think of everything that can grow in a sliver!

I can imagine the step as a path if I concentrate. The extra sliver is certainly a treat and the colour palette helps it all hang together – I doubt I’d ever have the discipline, but it works so well, especially in a small space.

3. Heyjude says:

Love the colours. I have most of these plants in my bee and butterfly bed: looking at this snapshot has made me think about re-arranging some of the plants and also bringing in an eryngium from another bed. Thanks for sharing this.

4. Laurie Graves says:

Wonderful! Those colors certainly pop. Went to England many years ago, and was impressed with how on even small slivers of land, people planted flowers and made their homes beautiful.

5. maristravels says:

What an inspired piece of planting and one easy enough for keen gardeners to copy. I’ve already saved this picture as a thought for next year.

6. BeckyB says:

Beautiful…..it is a show I keep thinking of visiting but never get organised. I must though as clearly lovely and probably much much quieter than their others.

I’m sure you’ll like it Becky. All of the shows have their different characters and highlights. I usually make a beeline for the young designers and the school gardens at RHS Tatton – I salute anything that encourages youngsters to get involved in gardening and having kids around injects a sense of fun.