36 thoughts on “Wordless Wednesday: Crocus ‘Jeanne d’Arc’

I often think you can tell how good a specific cultivar is by doing a image search and just glancing at the results. There are so many nice shots of this one.

Me too. I’ve often seen it described as pure white, which seems to miss the mark a little. The orange is so very bold too. I suppose the white itself is a pure shade of white, so that’s perhaps how it comes about.

1. tonytomeo says:

Okay, I know this is supposed to be wordless, but those rock! I do not grow ‘Jeanne d’Arc’ because crocus do not do well here. I only grow ‘Pickwick’, and even they do not look like much. The flowers of ‘Jeanne d’Arc’ are so small that a drift of them looks like seagull poop.

• tonytomeo says:

No, I meant ‘Jean d’Arc’. They bloom before they even get above the soil, and the flowers are very small, with tortured little leaves that look like fat pine needles. They really never amount to anything. ‘Pickwick’ does not do much better, but it at least looks a bit better in pots because of the color. Up on Summit, just a few miles away, crocus do much better, and the white works nicely and looks better than pale blue with so much green about. A colleague up there has drifts of a few varieties, including ‘Jean d’Arc’. In her application, the ‘Jean d’Arc’ is prettier than the ‘Pickwick’, although, they are all pretty the way that she grows them.

‘Jeanne d’Arc’ is the biggest crocus I know, but I have to confess that I like the small, species ones too. Let’s face it, I even find the tiny, spider like flowers of epimediums exciting 🙂

• tonytomeo says:

I like ‘Pickwick’ because it is familiar, and what I expect crocus to look like. I would like ‘Jean d’Arc’ because I like white. I would really like it if it did as well as it does up on Summit. However, I do happen to prefer the crocus with smaller flowers because they do better here than the larger flowered ‘Jean d’Arc’ . There are plenty of other white flowers.

2. Joanna Tenpenny says:

My mother grew crocus in every Texas garden she had. I think of her every time I see one. Purple was my favorite.