Weekly Photo Challenge: Resilient

I’m often surprised to see plants growing in strange places with little obvious means of support, such as this colourful succulent on top of a wire cage filled with rocks. Luckily for us, nature is resilient. These hollyhocks seemed quite content with poor soil at the base of a stone cottage in the Cotswolds, adapting to their surroundings by leaning outwards to catch more light.

I posted earlier this week about resilient plants that grow almost wild in a cemetery (if you’re a rose lover, and missed the post, you can find it here).

It’s impossible for me to write on this prompt without mentioning my belief that climate change is a real threat to us all. Let’s not push nature too hard or blithely take for granted her ability to bounce back. Resilience doesn’t mean invulnerable.

19 thoughts on “Weekly Photo Challenge: Resilient

1. Eliza Waters says:

I am always astonished to see flowers growing out of cracks in the pavement on city streets. Nature is amazing.
    Amen to your comments on climate change, which worries the heck out of me, truth be told. God help us.

2. oneta hayes says:

Yes, this blog does seem to fly in the face of the climate change panic, doesn’t it? But even now some things can’t be done, so I guess two degrees hotter some things still can’t be done. Like I can’t grow a poinsettia here in Oklahoma; two degrees will not likely make it possible. Of course, I can’t grow a watermelon either. I’ll not pine. But I do love the determination illustrated by your brave flowers. And I pour round-up on the grass coming through my sidewalk cracks! Wish they were pretty little succulents. So many things take work! Nice post,

It can be hard to see two degrees as a problem in a moderate climate like ours in Britain. It’s easy to equate that with blue skies more often, more sunny summer days or less need to turn the heater on in winter, then to conclude ‘that sounds quite nice, for us at least’. Then we experience more rain, rivers bursting their banks more often, coastal flooding and faster erosion and hear that the North Atlantic Drift that benevolently favours Britain may be changing. It’s such a complex subject.

Thank you for directing us to a thought about resilience today. No quality of nature — including the human — could be more critical, it seems to me, as we look back and look ahead. And, as I look ahead, I also look forward to more of your posts. Happy New Year, Susan!

4. sportsattitudes says:

Totally agree on your thoughts on climate change…as well as Nature’s way of always finding the path of least resistance to grow upward and outward. We have a hyacinth plant outside our front door that arises each March/April. We have no “earthly” idea how it comes up each year. It just does!

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Great choice for this week’s challenge. Like you and many others I just hope we haven’t pushed mother nature beyond her resilience.

6. Lindy Le Coq says:

Those of us who tend out grounds and seek a symbiotic relationship with nature are tuned-in to the small changes in our little corners of the world. Many of those who have created most of the conditions that have caused these ecological changes are much more interested in making money (for themselves and their shareholders) than in keeping our little planet healthy. Shame on them!

One of the best speakers I’ve ever heard was William McDonough, keynote speaker at a Garden Writers’ Symposium about Cradle to Cradle Design. He made a lot of sense.